The Shalom United Methodist Church of today is the result of many new beginnings, mergers and struggles. Carroll’s first school house, a small frame building on West Market Street also housed the first church and Sunday School organized by the Methodist Episcopal Church. It continued as a place of worship until land was purchased on the northwest corner of Market and Center Streets, where in 1854, a small wood frame church was built. This church had only one room with two front doors. Ladies and children entered by the right hand door and men on the left. The first graduating class from Carroll High School held graduation in the church May 27, 1887. The building was remodeled and enlarged in 1888.
Carroll M.E. Church was part of the Baltimore Circuit until 1874 when the Carroll Circuit was formed; composed of Carroll, Havensport, Dumontville, Pleasant Summit, and later Hutton Chapel. By the turn of the century, a new, larger building was needed and the cornerstone for the brick structure standing on the same lot was laid October 13, 1912, with the dedication service in the spring of the following year. This was our home until 1987 when we moved to our present location on Plum Road.
The Carroll United Brethren Church, organized in 1909, became the ‘Shining Light’ United Methodist Church at the time of the merger of the Methodist and E. U. B. Church in 1968. Services were held jointly in both churches until they agreed to merge into one body on December 10, 1972.
The name “Shalom” – a Hebrew word meaning peace, love, wholeness, unity, and harmony – was chosen for the new congregation. What better name for a new congregation still struggling with being joined together by the 1968 merger.
The church and ministry in Carroll, Ohio continued to grow and looking to the future, Rev. Larry Houser thought the hill where Plum Road met State Route 33 would be an ideal location, but at the time it was not for sale. Later, in 1980, Rev. Ray Dunlap came to Shalom and the ministries and outreach of the church continued to grow. Talk of a larger facility resumed and the land on Plum Road became available. Rev. Richard Maurer came to us in 1984 and led us through the building process. The Consecration Service was held on November 1st, 1987. Shalom’s ten acres, including a shelter house, fireplace, basketball facilities, and playground offers a convenient and pleasant area for summer and fall gatherings.
“Little Shepherd’s” Pre-School was added in 1992, and has become a major ministry of Shalom. The Family Life Center (multi-ministry center) was added in 2006, giving Shalom and the Carroll community much needed meeting space for groups including a gymnasium and facilities for dinners and receptions.
Today, we are a church that is continuing to grow in our outreach and service to the community as we grow in our faith and commitment to Jesus Christ. At Shalom, you’ll find people of all ages working and worshipping alongside one another, sharing our common bond to be a place of peace and a family of love for everyone we meet.